Century 21 Associates Realty LLC 
     Karen J. McLinden
      Phone 508-677-3233
       Fax 508-679-2006
       657 Pleasant St., Fall River, MA 02721 
Residential Real Estate, Commercial Real Estate, New Construction, Investment Property, Rentals, First Time Home Buyers, Relocating Assistance, Short Sale Assistance.   Areas Include But Not Limited To: Fall River, MA - Swansea, MA - Somerset, MA - Westport, MA - Dartmouth, MA - Tiverton, RI - Assonet, MA - Freetown, MA - Berkley, MA - Taunton, MA - Dighton, MA - Rehoboth, MA - Seekonk, MA - Warren, RI - Portsmouth, RI - Middletown, RI - Little Compton, RI - New Bedford, MA - Lakeville, MA - Middleboro, MA - Fairhaven, MA -   Wareham, MA

  • Home • Up • Sellers • Local • News & Info. • About • Art by Karen •


Investment properties have many benefits. It is a great way of diversifying your assets.  Property can be less volatile than shares (although not always) and tend to be where investors rush to when other assets suffer. 

Generally, investing in real estate gives you access to two benefits: capital growth and the tax advantages of sheltering your income.

When buying an investment property ensure you do everything you would do if you were purchasing a home you would be living in. This includes all the normal inspections and familiarizing yourself with property prices in the area. The last thing you want to do is overpay on a property and not see any capital gain.

Back to tope to buy

Because investment properties are bought as investments and not as owner-occupied residences, purchasers are able to take the emotion out of the decision of where and what to buy.

As you want to benefit from as much capital growth as possible, the first rule is to buy in a growth area. Experts define suburbs located up to 10 miles from a city's central business district as likely to be in a growth area. The best strategy is to visit a number of areas to get a feel for what they offer. As you will be renting out the property be aware of what tenants look for when they rent such as access to transportation, shops and leisure facilities. An attractive property in a sought-after area will also ensure strong rental returns and ongoing tenancy.

Back to top

What to buy

While owning a house may be nice, apartment units are far easier to rent out.  The bottom line should be what you can afford to buy and what rent you expect to be able to charge. Over-committing is not a sensible move if there aren't any tenants around that can afford to rent it from you.

Zoning is another factor that can affect what you pay and what you get when you sell. Homes on land zoned residential are popular as this protects your investment from developments that might undercut its value.

Look for a property that can be sold quickly if you find you have to sell in a hurry. Again look for additional features that are attractive to buyers such as an apartment with a deck or yard, internal laundry, off street parking or a  garage.

If the property you are interested in is currently being rented, ask about its history of tenants.  How long have the tenants been there?  Are they up to date with their payments?  How long does it take to fill a vacant unit there?

Back to top

Home loans for investment properties

There are few differences between what you need to do to borrow for a property you'll live in and borrowing for one you'll rent out. Some lenders charge a higher interest rate for investment properties because  their risk is higher,  They also require a larger down-payment.  The down-payment can come from a savings account, refinance or an equity loan from another property you own, some gift money may be allowed or possibly the seller could hold a second mortgage for the difference of what you have and what you need so check with your local bank or mortgage company to see what options you may have.   If you are looking at property with less than four units you can usually get a lower rate and less down payment than buying five or more units.  Five or more units are considered commercial property.

Back to top


Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is the tax charged on any capital gains that arise from the sale or disposal of any asset bought or acquired after 19 September, 1985. You are liable for CGT if your capital gains exceed your capital losses in any income year. Any capital gain must be shown in your income tax return for that year. While you do not pay capital gains tax on your place of residence, investment properties are subject to the tax when sold.  Seek advice from a tax agent or financial planner before leaping to sell a positively-geared property investment. The temptation is to reap your profits and plough them into another property and this is a perfectly reasonable strategy but don't lose track of the costs involved in doing that.  

Back to top

Defer Capital Gains...
Do a 1031 Exchange!

The Section 1031 Exchange has become the tool of choice for property owners who wish to defer taxes when property is sold. Code Section 1031 allows property to  be sold while maximizing profit and preserving net worth. Although Code Section 1031 is a complicated statute speak to your tax advisor for detailed information on how it can help you.

Back to top





 2013, Karen McLinden & Century 21 Real Estate LLC. CENTURY 21 is a registered trademark licensed to Century 21 Real Estate LLC. Equal Housing Opportunity. Each Office is Independently Owned and Operated.


 2013, Karen McLinden & Century 21 Real Estate LLC. CENTURY 21 is a registered trademark licensed to Century 21 Real Estate LLC. Equal Housing Opportunity. Each Office is Independently Owned and Operated.